Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"you look like you could use a cheeseburger"

i wasn't planning on writing a blog post tonight, but today someone said something to me that got me thinking. now, just to clear something up before i get started. i am 5'4 and weigh 115 pounds. when i first started seriously running, i asked my doctor at an appointment what weight i "should" be at. he explained to me that there really isn't a specific weight i "should" be at, but there is a range of weights that would be healthy for my height as well as my body type. 107-135 pounds is the range my doctor gave me. i could lose 8 pounds and still be at a healthy weight. the reason i say this is to put this into perspective for you. 

today, i saw someone that i hadn't seen in a while, probably a good 5 years. i have never been heavy, but i also have never been as healthy and fit as i am now. after a few minutes of catching up with this acquaintance, she mentioned how "skinny" i was looking and asked what i was doing. i told her that i have been doing a lot of running. her response shocked me, "wow..it looks like you could really use a cheeseburger." without knowing how exactly to politely respond to that comment, i quickly wrapped up the conversation and was on my way. 

i kept repeating this comment over and over in my head as i walked away. i look like i could use a cheeseburger. i kept thinking, well shit...i eat plenty of cheeseburgers. i mean really, i went to five guys on a sunday and then again on a friday, the same week! (don't judge me, i love five guys hamburgers) that wasn't the point though, the point was that she was body shaming me. what if the tables were turned and she thought i was fat. (i don't really like saying that, but i'm trying to make a point here) would she say, "it looks like you should lay off the cheeseburgers?" NO, because that would be cruel, completely inappropriate and rude. so why is it not cruel and why is it accepted for people to make those kinds of comments about "skinny" people?

that comment today just did not rub me the right way. let's not body shame! whether it's a comment about someone's height or their weight, think about it before you say it. even if you don't think it sounds mean, we have to think about these things. that girl probably did not mean to offend me. hell, she probably thought she was giving me a compliment. telling someone they look like they could use something to eat is not a compliment. it's sort of a backhanded compliment. i try not to let things like that get to me, but this time it did. my goal is not to try and look hungry. my goal is to be fit and healthy. i don't think i should ever feel bad about that. i don't want to feel bad about that. i don't want to feel bad about myself, especially after a comment that most likely wasn't supposed to make me feel that way.

whether its a comment on how short someone is, how tall they are,  how big they are, how small they are, we have to think before we speak. we can't body shame each other. you have no idea how hard someone is working, you have no idea what kind of body issues someone is struggling with. we need to lift each other up, not bring each other down. 


No comments:

Post a Comment